Large FFU Project financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Denmark (Danida), this 4-year project is a Joint Research Initiative between Roskilde University, University of Nairobi in Kenya and Mzumbe University in Tanzania.
The overall aim of the project is:
To generate new and urgently needed knowledge on emerging forms of informal worker organization, and their potential for enabling informal worker access to social protection measures in Kenya and Tanzania.
The project objectives include:
- Generating new empirical evidence based on six case studies covering three sectors (construction, petty trade and transport) in Tanzania and Kenya;
- Using this new empirical evidence to better theorize the ways in which negotiations around rightful claims for social protection take place, and the organisational forms through which claims are made and social protection provided and accessed;
- Developing analytical concepts for analysing the political economy conditions which shape informal labour markets and frame notions of, claims to and access to social protection;
- Developing policy recommendations based on the emerging evidence and theoretical work and strengthening the capacity of academics, practitioners and institutions, enabling them to better meet the needs of informal workers
- Lone Riisgaard, Associate Professor, Principal project coordinator at RUC
- Nina Torm, Post Doc and interim project coordinator at RUC
- Winnie Mitullah, Professor, Director of the Institute for Development Studies (IDS) at University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Flora Kessy, Associate Professor, Social Policy and Development Department, Mzumbe University, Tanzania.
- Anne Kamau, Lecturer, Institute for Development Studies (IDS), University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Anna Mdee, Associate Professor, University of Leeds, UK
- Valerie Nelson, Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich, UK
Project news, blogs and useful links:
The official launch of the project will take place at the University of Nairobi from 9th-13th April 2017, including workshops with all stakeholders participating in the project, as well as relevant government and municipal officials.
For more info on Nairobi University, please click here
For more info on Mzumbe University, please click here
For more info on Danida’s Research Portal, please click here